The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship and Scholarship Assistance Fund Application
Deadline: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, by 5:00 p.m.
The Indianapolis Urban League is pleased to announce we are accepting applications for the Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship Program for 2021. One eligible Marion County high school senior will receive the Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship to ease financial barriers for students of color seeking a post-secondary degree that is committed to the achievement and making a significant impact on their post-secondary institution through leadership and service. Kaaren and Mike Rodman award this scholarship in honor of their parents Shirley and Allen Burke and Faye and Hubert Dabner.
The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship is awarded to one eligible Marion County high school senior who demonstrates academic potential, is committed to the achievement, and making a significant impact on their post-secondary institution and community through leadership and service.
The recipient of The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship will also be awarded The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Scholarship Assistance Fund in recognition of needs beyond traditional academic costs. The 2020 scholarship award recipient is Makayla Ray. her story will be posted soon. Click here to read about Anthony Mackey 2019 scholarship recipient.
- Be a student of color with the first consideration being to a student of African American heritage
- Reside in Marion County and attend a public high school
- Receive a high school diploma during the current academic year of 2020-2021
- Be granted acceptance to an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution (in-state or out-of-state)
- Have proof of unmet financial needs related to attending their school of choice
- Demonstrate “potential”, not exclusively measured by college entrance test scores or academic achievement
- Demonstrate commitment to achievement and making a significant impact on his/her schools and community through leadership and service
An applicant may not be:
- A relative of an employee of the Indianapolis Urban League
- A high school graduate
- An international, temporary or part-time students
Scholarship Award: ($5,000 with $1,000 Assistance Fund)
The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship recipient will receive a $5,000 educational scholarship applied over four years at $1,250 per year; paid directly to the post-secondary institution and the scholarship recipient.
The recipient of The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Scholarship Family Scholarship will also receive The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Scholarship Assistance Fund in recognition of needs beyond traditional academic costs. The recipient is eligible to receive up to $1,000 over four years of undergraduate studies for non-academic needs or unforeseen emergencies (to be defined but may include: transportation to and from Marion County, food, and housing).
- Complete the entire application and follow the instructions along the way.
Submit a personal essay sharing you’re your need for the scholarship and why you should receive the scholarship (attach essay to e-mail or print and attach to the application if mailing or dropping off at the Indianapolis Urban League)
- Include a title for your personal essay along with your first and last name on your essay.
- Format: 2-page maximum, single-spaced, 12-point type.
Once completed, submit your application along with your essay and required documents to the Indianapolis Urban League:
- Completed Application
- Official Test Scores (Attach a copy of SAT, ACT, or other academic measures)
- Extracurricular Activity Descriptions (Attachment)
- Reference Letters, Limit 3 (Attachment)
- Comments (Optional, one-page limit, Attachment)
- Photo (submit digital or high-quality print) (Enclosed)
- Signed Assignment of Rights & Consent to Publish Scholarship Information (Attachment)
- Email or Mail your completed application and documents. Must be postmarked on or before May 5, 2021
Submit your application and documents:
- E-mail your completed application and documents to email@example.com
- Use subject line: The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship and Scholarship Assistance Fund
Indianapolis Urban League
777 Indiana Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46202
ATTN: The Burke, Dabner, Rodman Family Scholarship and Scholarship Assistance Fund
Please contact Kim Teague, Director of Fund Development and Marketing with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 693-7603 during business hours (M-F 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).