The Indianapolis Urban League invites you to join us in educating our community on tobacco – the #1 killer of African-Americans, by joining the ‘No Menthol Sunday’ social media campaign for the faith community organized by the National African American Tobacco Prevention Network (NAATPN).
On Sunday, May 17, congregations across the city of Indianapolis and the country will participate by sharing educational media during morning service.
Together, let’s AWAKEN everyone to the harsh realities of menthol. Awaken! is the chosen theme of this years’ campaign, encouraging the faith community not to be deceived. Ephesians 5:5-15 exclaims we must awaken ourselves to the truth so we may be wise and expose deception and complacency. In essence, the passage calls us to STAY WOKE!
Invite, share, and post your support for “No Menthol Sunday” on your platforms. Use #AWAKENIndiana2020 #GetTheTruthAboutMenthol
To join the campaign, follow this link and register your church or organization. https://mailchi.mp/c324b7519b8a/nms-participation to receive the social media campaign instructions and materials including a copy of the Awaken Indiana 2020! video.
For questions please email Sherrita Niles, Tobacco Prevention Cessation Program Manager, email@example.com or call (317) 779-9149 for more information. Thank you for your consideration.
What’s The Big Deal With Menthol?
- Menthol flavor makes cigarettes easy to start but harder to quit!
- 90% of African American smokers use Menthol cigarettes. This is over three times the amount of Caucasian smokers.
- 47% of Hispanic smokers prefer menthol.
- 54% of youth smokers 12-17 years old use menthol.
- Menthol smoking among the LQBTQ+ community is significantly higher than the heterosexual community.